Fiber Optic Internet / Voice over IP Connectivity
Client Type: University
Project Overview: Design and implement solution for Internet connectivity to campus dorm rooms.
- University T1 Internet services located in main campus administration building, over 1000 feet from dorm
- University campus was heavily wooded and built on solid rock.
- Dorm buildings were constructed with solid ceilings.
- Contracted a directional underground boring company to install a 1000-foot conduit through solid rock, between
dorms and the main campus building.
- Installed 96 strands of fiber between main campus building and first dorm building.
- Distributed 4 strands of fiber from the first dorm building, to each of the remaining 19 dorm buildings.
- Installed 2 data cable drops to each of 12 dorm rooms, in 20 different dorm buildings (480 drops).
- Installed extensive surface raceway for cabling, as dorm walls are inaccessible.
- Installed 24 port 10/100 switches, with fiber optic transceivers, to each dorm building.
- Routed voice and data traffic from each dorm room, to the Internet and campus PBX, via point-to-point TCP/IP
switch port connections.
- Provided each dorm room with an Internet connection.
- Provided each dorm room with a voice over IP extension on the campus PBX.